Now bear with me, I know this is something a three year can do, but traffic here is a wee bit different from back in sleepy old home. This is the first time I had crossed the road. Even the thought of crossing the road before this had put the fear of god into me. What I had been doing previously was walking only in straight lines. This had become problematic. Firstly, because it took a lot extra time and more importantly because I never ended up where I wanted to go.
I spent last night watching, with a sad and desperate longing that only the truly anxious know, as people crossed the road. The very young, the very old, all crossing. There's only a certain amount the heart can take before you have to poo or get off the pot as they say. That and I was holding up foot traffic.
This is what happened next:
I tentatively put my toe over the curb.
Loud cheering and collective horn tooting began. 300 motorbikes sped past with horns, flags, and banners. This was followed by 200 scooters, 20 open backed trucks with streamers. 5 promotional double-decker buses with scantily clad fan girls, 3 trucks blaring Thai music and finally a limousine convertible with an entire football team in it, holding proudly aloft a giant gold trophy while letting off fireworks.
I put my toe back on the curb, turned around and caught a taxi to the market
No comments:
Post a Comment